In a turn of events that will only shock those unfamiliar with the Washington, D.C. swamp, the Department of Justice announced Friday that it would drop its criminal investigation into ex-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe.
In a letter sent from J.P. Cooney, head of the DOJ’s Fraud & Public Corruption Section and Molly Gaston, assistant U.S. attorney, the department said that the government has decided to drop the investigation and charges”
We write to inform you that, after careful consideration, the Government has decided not to pursue criminal charges against your client, Andrew G. McCabe, arising from the referral by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) to our Office of conduct described in OIG’s April 13, 2018, report entitled, “A Report of Investigation of Certain Allegations Relating to Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe.” Based on the totality of the circumstances and all of the information known to the Government at this time, we consider the matter closed. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
McCabe was fired in 2018. One month before, the OIG released the aforementioned report, which found that McCabe “lacked candor, including under oath, on multiple occasions in connection with describing his role in connection with a disclosure to the [Wall Street Journal]”
As The Daily Wire wrote last year, such dishonesty is a violation of FBI policy. The OIG also determined that McCabe violated FBI and DOJ policy by disclosing “the existence of an ongoing investigation in the manner described in this report.”
In August 2019, McCabe filed a lawsuit against the DOJ claiming his firing was a “politically motivated and retaliatory demotion.” He was demoted in January 2018 and fired in March after the OIG report. McCabe claimed in his lawsuit that President Donald Trump “purposefully and intentionally” pressured the DOJ to fire McCabe in order to discredit the FBI’s investigation into whether Trump’s 2016 campaign colluded with Russia to steal the 2016 election.
An investigation from Special Counsel Robert Mueller determined no one from the Trump campaign worked with Russia to steal the election.
In February 2019, McCabe appeared on “60 Minutes” and claimed members of the Trump cabinet were considering using the 25th Amendment to oust Trump from office, according to host Scott Pelley.
“There were meetings at the Justice Department at which it was discussed whether the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet could be brought together to remove the president of the United States under the 25th Amendment,” Pelley said. “These were the eight days from [Fired FBI Director James] Comey’s firing to the point that Robert Mueller was appointed special counsel. And the highest levels of American law enforcement were trying to figure out what do with the president.”
McCabe also said Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein repeatedly discussed wearing a wire to record his conversations with Trump. Rosenstein dismissed the claim previously as a joke.
The DOJ released a statement denying McCabe’s claims.
“The Deputy Attorney General never authorized any recording that Mr. McCabe references,” the statement said. “As the Deputy Attorney General previously has stated, based on his personal dealings with the President, there is no basis to invoke the 25th Amendment, nor was the DAG in a position to consider invoking the 25th Amendment.”
It should be noted that members of Trump’s orbit who have lied to the FBI have been criminally charged, including Gen. Michael Flynn and Roger Stone.